Dude (Looks Like A Lady)

    Koreans have this thing, their dudes like to dress up as dudettes. Ok, I'm not saying all their men are like this. But it is a thing. Don't believe me? Just go check out any Korean shows. You are guaranteed to find at least one episode featuring 'men/boys who look pretty in wigs and skirts'.

A little example. 

    It's not just Koreans, this is a thing for Japanese people too. While I was attending this film seminar, the professor touched a bit on this subject since we were discussing Kurosawa's films and his films feature this 'Lady-Dude' syndrome too. The prof lived in Japan for some time, he's British so he did find this thing a little weird at first but got used to it after living there for a while. So, yeah - for us who are not born into the Japanese or Korean cultures, this might seem weird. But it really is nothing harmful. Most of this are just done for fun. And their cultures do like to praise guys who has effeminate physical features.

I've never watched any of his dramas but
I knew of him because he was famously dubbed
as 'the boy who's prettier than girls'.

    In fact, it is so important for men to look as pretty as ladies that they have their own make-up shops (while most men outside of Japan and Korea probably don't even own a facial wash). This would be a very weird thing in my country,since the only men who take care of their looks here are the metrosexuals, and even then, they don't wear make-ups (just a whole bunch of lotions and products). But back to Korea, it's no surprise for shops to cater to pretty boys because pretty faces really are prized and sought after in the entertainment business there. Case in point: most K-Pop male idols are 'pretty boys'.

But I have no complains there:)

    Yes, that is why we see lots of 'pretty boys' in the K-Pop industry. And also why most of them have dressed up as girls at least once for a TV Show or stage performance. While most of them do look pretty and can pass off as a girl easily, there are some who should have just left the lipstick and miniskirt to the real girls.

No, I will not upload pictures of those and give you
(and myself) nightmares. Here's a puppy instead.

    And of all those pretty 'girls', these three are my favorite because - like Kim Shin Young (gagwoman) said when she saw Siwan, 'I wish I looked that pretty.'

3. Siwan (ZE:A)

    Above is what he looks like as a dude - I mean as himself. Below is him transformed.

Oh! My School, Kim Shin Young was one of the hosts.


2. Park Hae Jin (Actor)

    That's the man. He had to be made up as a 'lady' in one Family Outing episode and this was how he looked like:

Watch the show, you'll see the full effect. The eye make-up
 and hair remind me of T-Ara's Jiyeon:D


1. Taemin (SHINee)

    Above, pretty boy Taemin. Below, pretty 'school girl' Taemin and 'Barbie' Taemin.


I think I see a little of f(x) Krystal in his smileXD

    I just have to make this post because too many non-KPop listeners think it's weird that Korean celebs seem to enjoy crossdressing. Like I point out, it's part of their culture, it's just funny to them. And also 'pretty boys' are prized by their people. Yes, they do put too much emphasis on their looks (I'll talk more about this when I get around to writing my Plastic Surgery post) but as long as this is regarded highly by their culture, then the celebs will continue to dress up as girls in order to entertain and be praised of their 'beauty'.

    If you're tired of pretty faces by now, go watch some Kurosawa films then. Oh, you'll still come across some men dressed as 'ladies' - but they sure as heck won't look appealing (they're soldiers, 'nuff said). Oops...sorry if I've put a 'Hairy Sally' imprint in your brain, here's another puppy:

At least he's pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment